Top Games of the Weekend:
#3 Princeton vs #13 Boston University:
- Both teams played mid week matchups that went opposite ways. Princeton dominated Marist, beating them 18-7, while BU lost to Yale 22-15 on Wednesday. On short rest both teams will look to score a ranked win out of conference.
- BU is led by their attack who lead the team in points and capitalize on any opportunity they are given. The attack is led by Vince D’Alto with 59 points. Princeton’s offense is clicking after posting 18 goals on wednesday led by Chris Brown with seven points.
- Key Matchup: Princeton’s offense vs BU’s Defense. Princeton has a dangerous offense that can start offense from above the goal and below with a balanced attack and midfield. The BU defense just get exposed against Yale, this game will be interesting to see how they react to last game’s disappointing effort.
#7 Virginia vs #16 UNC:
- Virginia was on the wrong end of the upset of the weekend against Richmond. This week will be a great opportunity to rebound against the up and down Tar Heels. UNC lost to Duke last time out with their offense not clicking and only producing 6 goals.
- This game is a rematch of a Thursday night matchup between these two teams that saw UVA winning 15-11 in a fun game to watch. This game will show us which team can make the better adjustments and who can prepare better for their second matchup of the year
- Key matchup: Coaching. As mentioned above these two teams met already this year and will both look to rebound after last week’s losses. Both coaches have their hands full with talented offenses who feature first team all americans. If the last meeting indicates anything, we should have a great matchup this weekend.
#1 Maryland vs #4 Rutgers:
- Maryland is still undefeated and appears to be the most complete team in the nation. They have a lethal offense, a talented defense, one of the top faceoff men in the country and depth that can carry them deep in the NCAA tournament.
- Rutgers has lost just one game this year to a top five Princeton team and may be the closest threat spoil the Terrapins perfect year. If Rutgers can get maryland out of their grove and play their brand of lacrosse, this game will be on upset watch
- Key Matchup: Pace. Maryland is smart with the ball, they move well and can generate goals from all six guys on the field. Rutgers has some ballers too, but they like to get out in transition more to let their shooters get plenty of shots. If the game speeds up, the field will tip towards the Scarlet knights, but if Maryland can score goals and eat up the possession clock, it could be a long day for Rutgers.
Weekend Best Bets:
Princeton -3.5 vs Boston University
- Boston U is a good team and this bet is not because of their play, but more about the level of play Princeton is at right now. The whole ivy league is playing great lacrosse at the moment and I see Princeton taking care of business in this one. Both teams are coming off Wednesday games and if they have to dip into the benches I like the Tigers depth much more in this one.
Virginia – 3.5 vs North Carolina
- This line opened at -2.5 and has since moved up to 3.5, but I would still take UVA in this one. They are fresh off a loss to Richmond in a game that may have humbled them for the best. UNC only put up six goals in the last game and the UVA defense is big, rangy and elite. I like the Cavaliers to rebound in a big way.
Dog of the Weekend: Denver +2 vs Villanova
- This game will be a back and forth battle from start to finish. While both teams are playing for second behind Georgetown at the moment, I feel a last minute goal or overtime game in this one that the Pioneers might just pull out. I think this game should be a pick’em, but take the plus points or plus money and get ready for a battle.
Subscribe to the Morning Blitz our daily sports newsletter here.