Top Games of the Weekend:
#6 Upenn vs #4 Cornell:
- The Big Red are still undefeated this season and have won multiple big ten matchups already this year. Cornell’s offense has found their quarterback for the future in CJ Kirst, as he leads the team in goals and assists with 28 total points.
- Penn just lost an electric 21-20 overtime game to Princeton last weekend in what could be the game of the year. Sam Handley has lived up to the preseason hype so far with 23 points to lead the team.
- Key Matchup: Erik Peter vs Penn Offense: Erik Peters has been the rock of Princeton’s team this year, setting career highs in saves multiple times already this year. The Penn offense is balanced and features great shooters, and it will be interesting to see if they can score some early goals and not let Peters get hot.
#3 Virginia vs #10 Notre Dame:
- UVA will look to rebound from a loss to Maryland last weekend in which they fought hard, but Maryland seems to be in a league of their own right now. The defense will need to respond against a dangerous offense that is due for a breakout game.
- Notre Dame got back in the win column last weekend against Michigan. The win was needed after three straight losses to talented top ten teams. The Kavanaugh brothers are leading the team and are always dangerous to score highlight reel goals.
- Key Matchup: Irish Defense vs UVA attack – The Irish close defense just put on a terrific performance against Michigan allowing just seven goals. This matchup will be a fun one featuring some of the best players at their positions on both sides.
#7 Rutgers vs #8 Ohio State:
- Rutgers is 8-1 on the season against a mix of top 20 teams and lesser level teams. They will start their in-conference play with a top ten matchup against Ohio State. Last year the Scarlet Knights won both meetings against the Buckeyes.
- Rutgers’ offense is headlined by Mitch Bartolo, the Penn transfer, who commands a ton of respect from any defense they play. On the other side of the ball, Jack Meyers has been one of Ohio State’s best players for the last four years and will be on the minds of the Rutgers poles all week.
- Key Matchup: Transition: Rutgers loves to run and when teams play their fast-paced style, it tends to go the Scarlet Knights way. If Ohio State can slow the ball down, as well as limit transition goals from Rutgers, they should be able to control the game.
Georgetown -4.5 over Lehigh
- Georgetown has looked the part as a top 5 team with six wins and a lone loss to a talented Princeton team. Their defense has been dangerous this year and it will be difficult for Lehigh’s offense to get many 6 on 6 goals. Take Georgetown and lay the points.
Maryland – 5.5 over Penn State
- Maryland is on another level this year after last weekend’s dominating performance against Virginia. Although this game starts Big Ten play, Maryland should continue their dominance and win this game by more than six goals. Take Maryland in this Sunday contest.
Dog of the weekend: Army + 1.5 over Loyola
- Army lost a shocker last weekend to Lehigh which was in result of a 8/25 day at the face off X. Loyola will not be able to dominate the possession battle like Lehigh did last weekend and Army’s offense will capitalize against a streaky Loyola team. This game will be close and could even go into overtime
Subscribe to the Morning Blitz our daily sports newsletter here.